How to Generate SQL for a Snapshot
The CopyStorm Snapshot subsystem stores record data in database XML column types and many database professionals may not be familiar with how to write SQL queries to read snapshot data. Though we do not expect many people to write their own SQL queries against CopyStorm snapshots, we have include a query generator to help a programmer to get started.
The basic procedure is:
- Open the Snapshot Explore for the snapshot you want to query.
- Select a table and the columns you want in the query.
- Go to the Preview stage and click on the “Generate Query” button. The system will open a dialog which shows the SQL that matches your query. Copy and Paste the generated SQL and you will have a good starting point for your own query.
The generated SQL queries provided by CopyStorm should help you avoid a deep dive into a study of how to build an XML column query for your specific database type.
To practice this procedure see:
- Snapshot Explorer
- How to Export Data from a Snapshot
- The How to Setup a Custom Snapshot tutorial
- The reference page Column Expression Filter Rule.